Sunday, January 20, 2008

Praying for Sandy

Hello Friends --

I'm back in Scotland -- not entirely over jet lag -- happily resettling into my cottage. Unhappily, a dear friend, Sandy Cram (in the photo below with his wife, Jeannie) was hit by a car that went off the road and onto the sidewalk (pavement) and Sandy is in critical condition with major head injuries.
Sandy and Jeannie were walking home after posting some letters in the village. (Just last week Jeannie had been released from hospital after surgery to treat breast cancer -- and we were all so grateful with how well it went.) Next thing she knew, Jeannie was hit from behind and knocked down (her femur is cracked) and when she looked for Sandy, he had taken the full force of the car's hit and was lying behind it.

Half an hour later, my friend Peter and I were driving to Jeannie and Sandy's to return some portable heaters that they'd sent to my cottage to have it warm for me when I got home from the States. Unable to get past the police road blocks, we returned later to an empty house and no one answering the phone -- an hour later we learned what had happened.

Sandy and Jeannie have been dear friends since I first moved here in '92. Jeannie was one of the elders on my joint session advisory group when I was a youth worker, and Sandy has always been a great encourager and someone for whom I hold such deep respect and affection. I myself, and everyone who knows the Crams, are heartsick and frankly in shock that this has happened.

Please pray for them. There has been one surgery to reduce swelling on the brain, and the prognosis is very poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment