TOP 5 things about re-settling in Banchory.
1. Your friends have stocked your fridge and your fruitbowl for you in anticipation of your return -- and hung a "Welcome Back" sign on your front door.
2. You can walk everywhere while your car is in the shop for its MOT -- and 2 friends stop to offer you a lift.
3. When you park on the high street to go to the post office, 4 high school / college students who know you start cheering "Laurie Wheeler!" At the corner you roll down your window to say "hi" to 3 other friends -- and stop to greet 3 different people on the short walk from your car to the hardware store. Where the owner meets you right away and accompanies you all around the shop to help you find everything you need.
4. You have 4 welcome home text messages within 1 hour of arriving, including a dinner invite for Saturday night.
5. Al (the toad) is still hanging out in the wood bin.
BOTTOM 5 things about re-settling into Banchory:
1. Paying $350.00 to MOT and license the car.
2. 20 degree Farenheit temperature difference between Banchory and LA (it is pouring rain today -- and last night I rcvd. a text message from friend Nicola that simply reads "It is perishing tonight." It was silly cold.)
3. Jet lag.
4. Three pairs of shoes lost to rampant mold. (They were in the back corner of my closet while I was away -- one pair must have been damp from when I last wore them...) Good news: the cottage itself is dry!
5. Being too far away from people whom I love so dearly.
Number five is the only one that really matters. After having lunch with dear friend Mary Haddow, I spent the rest of the day and early evening unpacking, dusting, cleaning out closets, etc. Very satisfying to get resettled.
The problem, however, with completing all of the household tasks that serve to distract is that there is nothing to stop the tears when you catch sight of the "We will Miss you" message in 4 year old penmanship on green construction paper. I miss you, too.
1 comment:
Glad to hear you're "home". I've experienced the mixed emotions on this side of the pond. I'm sure you'll get settled back in soon and the tears will fade some. Keep in touch when you get the chance.
Post a Comment