Saturday, September 20, 2008

Healthcare and Socialized Business

No, I'm not going to rail about political candidates and positions again! Because this isn't about "left" or "right" -- it is about where we as Americans find our sense of security, and that includes me.

Simply an observation that is being made on this side of the Atlantic.

That a country which for years has been the apostle of the Free Market economy

and resolutely opposed to "socialised" healthcare

just socialised the economy.

And to speak from the heart

as I write that, the tears start ...

My head agrees that this needed to be done -- I'm not objecting to the decision

I'm simply reflecting on what this says

about who we are

and what we trust to keep the chaos at bay.

at the last day,
when the nations are called to account
how will we explain all of this to our Lord?


Let not the wise boast of their wisdom,
or the mighty ones boast of their strength,
or the rich boast of their wealth,
but let the one who boasts boast about this:

that they understand and know me,
that I am the LORD,
who exercised kindness,
justice
and righteousness on earth,

for in these I delight.

It is sunny here today -- and if I quit procrastinating and get my work done on the thesis then my Monday reward is to climb Lochnagar with Geordie and Donald and Bryonie -- the forecast is sunshine for a fair stretch! Hallelujah!

Love, Laurie

3 comments:

Christine said...

Alone With Everybody

The flesh covers the bone
and they put a mind
in there and
sometimes a soul,
and the women break
vases against the walls
and the men drink too
much
and nobody finds the
one

but keep
looking
crawling in and out
of beds
flesh covers
the bone and the
flesh searches
for more than
flesh.

there's no chance
at all:
we are all trapped
by a singular
fate.

nobody ever finds
the one.

the city dumps fill
the junkyards fill
the madhouses fill
the hospitals fill
the graveyards fill

nothing else
fills.

C. Bukowski

Mary Hagle said...

The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.
~Hubert Humphrey

A government of the people and by the people no longer exists. Avarice is the ruler.

MikeandSusan said...

Dang, Laurie - that is right on. Thanks for feeling it so deeply and speaking it so succinctly.

Post a Comment