Saturday, October 6, 2007

Midvale school for the gifted...

So you remember this Far Side comic -- the one with the ubiquitous boy with the big head and crew cut, pushing against the entry door to the "Midvale School for the Gifted" for all he's worth, while the sign above the handle reads "Pull"?


I'm leaving Durham's library the other day, and the revolving door is making a terrible squealing sound -- something between a stuck pig and a low moan -- and it is really, really hard to rotate.

Just as I'm about to escape, I look up and notice that the sign on the door does indeed read "Push", as I'm doing -- but it is affixed to the other side of the glass and I'm reading it from the back.

Here's the best part though -- another student, exiting through the traditional swinging door on my left at the same time that I finally emerge, has witnessed my moronic exit -- and we burst out laughing together like long companions. "Atleast you made it out" he offers -- "Midvale school for the gifted" I quip. "Exactly" he replies. Then we part ways -- like those two dogs in "Go, Dog, Go" who meet and comment on the poodle's hats. It was a really nice moment. At my expense, mind you, but still really superb -- where the combination of the Far Side and basic human absurdity eliminates the "stranger" factor. I could use more of those in a day.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I miss your humor, my friend. So glad you made it out of the library!

Anonymous said...

I had just joined the Mathematics department in UCT as a MSc student, and was about to enter the Staff Room for the first time to have tea with all the lofty genius professors, so I firmly and confidently strode toward the door and pushed on it to open it. It stayed stuck, I looked up and saw the "Pull" sign... and as the full embarassment hit, I noticed that someone had stuck that exact Far Side cartoon on the door, yes, the Midvale School for the Gifted cartoon, just below the sign and right in front of my eyes.

True Story, Trevor Branch

Anonymous said...

You are the best, Laurie!!
I miss you, my dear! Sue

Post a Comment