Saturday, October 13, 2007

End of a Good Run ...

Last night we met for the last of our three dinner conversations at the Scott's home. Once again, I did the main dish and Margaret the salads and desserts -- including the most incredible lemon meringue tarts I have EVER tasted! They were even better than this picture.
It was the end of a good run in two ways.
The frivilous is that my good run of recipes turning out ended with the Mexican rice I (attempted) to make to accompany the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos (which were FABULOUS -- recipe link here. A great vegan recipe -- no cheese or meat). The rice however ... I tried brown rice in place of white -- now don't give me that look -- I love brown rice. But you're right. Want to hear the silly thing? I'd specially bought a bag of white rice just for this recipe (don't usually have white rice in my cupboard) and changed my mind at the last minute. To be fair, the rice over here cooks up differently. You can scoff at that -- but its true. So I gave you a diferent rice recipe with the burritos -- its less fuss.

Did I mention I have 2 fridges in my kitchen just now? Long, tortuous tale -- they are the 2nd and 3rd in a line of attempts to replace the 30+ year old "Tricity Triumph" that finally went down in defeat. First replacement had a damaged door -- second replacement labors to freeze ice -- hoping thirds the charm. The 2nd one is being "uplifted" on Tuesday.

But -- back to the 2nd reason for a good run -- the hope in initiating these 3 dinners was to cultivate some deeper fellowship in the church. Personally, these evenings have entirely exceded all my expectations -- all 3 of which have both challenged and encouraged me. They've also felt like something of a homecoming -- this business of encouraging community is what I have loved the most about being a pastor. It was a characteristic in my calling at Church at the Center that I've missed, and the loss of which I've grieved since the debacle there put an end to my efforts in that direction.
The Tree of Life -- Klimt
The consensus last night, when I asked if this was a group that might meet again down the way, was that these sort of connections are needed throughout the church -- that there is a danger of being insular -- and in fact, they kind of wondered what would happen if I "took my show on the road" and facilitated these sort of gatherings for others, too.
Now that felt a benediction -- a homecoming of sorts. I know I've been gifted to preach the word of God. To be re-affirmed in my gifts to nurture more intimate places of relationships where conversations can take place about how to live out and be shaped by that word -- that feels almost more important to me. So I'm curious to see what God has in mind with all of this.

In the short term, the next small group is a 6 week gathering of the post-University friends here in Banchory for a spiritual formation group. We'll start meeting a week from Monday -- that will carry me through until coming home for Christmas. The dinner and gathering to discuss that was on Monday. I thought I'd prepared a mild taco filling -- but a few of my Scottish friends were still breaking out in a sweat ... recipes this week have had a "south of the border" theme. (That would be Mexican, not English...)

AND THE REST OF THE WEEK?
Tuesday night went to "Carmen".
Thursday had a "mini-seminar" with Francis Watson (my supervisor -- oh that's right -- I'm here to get a Ph.D.!) and the other 2 Durham transferees. We'll meet throughout this year to discuss Francis' latest book and also to work on German translation -- I learned ALOT this past Thurs. This is a great development as a result of the Durham transfer.

Thurs. eve had dinner at the Zieglers' -- Sharon and Gordie are American, just moved to Banchory while Gordie starts a Systematic Theology Ph.D. Friends Chris and Adrienne Hunt were also there -- great evening.
So it has been a full week! This Sunday night I will co-lead the evening family service (Sunday night live) and then drive to Edinburgh -- Monday in Durham again -- then Tues. back for a week that has only ONE THING on the calendar every day: studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment