A friend yesterday at worship asked if I had exams at Uni. like everyone else just now. Since I'm not on a taught Ph.D. course I don't -- and described how different this thesis writing experience is to the previous courses I've done. "With a thesis", I said, "it's like they put you at the bottom of a grain silo and pour 90,000 words on top of you -- then you spend the next 3 years digging your way out."Needless to say, for the last few weeks, I've been buried! I'm hopeful that in the next few days I'll have at least secured another air pocket for myself, but we will see ...
I was down at Durham again for a week, and then York for a couple of nights to see Sarah, Andy and their family. That was a great trip -- enjoyed new friendships in Durham and also had lots of library and writing time.
It is cloudy and cold here today when the forecast was for sun -- we've hit that time of year when the Seattle weather is consistently 10 - 15 degrees warmer than here -- sure can feel the difference...
The work at the East Church with the children / families is a joy. Had a great Sunday school time yesterday -- I was the leader -- we've initiated a change of direction on a Sunday morning -- approaching "Sunday School" as an extension of worship for the children in the big room in the hall which we've redecorated / refurnished and call "the Tent".
This has been great for the kids / families involved, and we're seeing much more consistent attendance and participation, which encourages me.
And it got me thinking about a comment one of the boys made in our kids' worship time -- we finish the hour with a "feast" -- which is some fruit and muffins or bread or other not too sugary food -- sit on our cushions in the circle and made "tables" out of napkins and eat our feast and have conversation with the kids (this happens after all the Bible stories and art and Scripture reading and thanksgiving prayer -- very full hour!)
Anyway -- I've always thought it was a bit of a stretch for the kids to see this as a feast, so I said "I wonder why we call this a feast and not a snack."
To which Calum answers "This is definitely a snack."
"Well, that's my thought too," I say, "which is why I wonder why this is called a feast instead of a snack."
Calum was one in mind with me -- he spoke up again to describe feasts in detail -- multiple courses, lots of food -- you could hear the strolling mandolin players!
When he's done I simply say one last time. "That's what I imagine when I hear 'feast' too, Calum. Which is why it is curious to me that we call this a feast."
Then Matthew speaks up, looking down at his 3 chunks of pineapple (which he loves) and 2 strawberries and small oat cookie, "To a lot of people in the world, this would be a feast." Kid brother Peter echoes his total agreement.
And I’m silenced.
I saw a blurb the other day about Oprah deciding to do this 28 day vegan detox diet -- it caught my eye / struck me as funny -- millions of people eat extremely simple vegan or vegetarian diets out of necessity and the fact that one of the wealthiest women in the world is now taking on the "challenge" of abstaining from rich foods is headline news! And here's the kicker -- she speaks with amazement about how this is really so much better / easier than she thought -- which is what I found during my Lenten Eastern Orthodox fast which is essentially vegan so I'm oddly pleased to hear her acknowledge this -- until she goes on to say that HER CHEF (on loan to her from the friend who wrote this latest detox diet book, no less) cooked up so many astounding meals for her... ...
I had lunch after worship yesterday with Steven and Mary and then we walk
ed into the village (it was sunny and lovely warm -- which means 60 degrees F. but that feels great!) and had coffee and a choc. choc. chip cookie at the new chocolate shop that is across the street from my bank. It was great coffee -- good chocolate too but the coffee impressed me! It was fun to have the time with Steven and Mary. Another feast!!!In the evening I rode my bike down to Sunday night live worship. Actually, not my bike -- my friend Rachel's bike but she's in Manchester and I'm using it. Now that it stays light until 10pm, I can take the bike. Donald and Judith spoke about their recent trip back to Zambia (where they'd been missionary pastors for years) -- one of the church leaders there at General Assembly was speaking about healing -- he views all of Jesus' ministry as being about healing, whether physical or relationships or injustice, etc. -- had a lovely statement that Jesus "wants to kiss us better" -- that's pretty poignant given the AIDS epidemic in Africa just now. Also heard letter from Christians suffering in the violence in Zimbabwe. Unspeakable. So much to pray about.
Speaking of prayer -- GREAT NEWS -- remember my friend Sandy who was struck down by a car in January and not expected to survive the first 48 hours? He is making an astounding recovery -- home now, walking, interacting -- he and Jeannie were at worship last night. Jeannie, in her typically faithful and joyful fashion, insists that while she wouldn't ask for their circumstances she also wouldn't give up the blessings that they have received as a result of going through them.
And this, I suppose, is what I trust, and what the news can't report because on the macro level it can't be seen -- that in these individual circumstances of devastation God can and does slip silently in -- unpredictable as the wind, which blows where it will and we can not say where it comes from or where it is going -- to comfort and heal -- to "kiss us better". This is my prayer for Karin and Lori at the end of their chemo -- for the survivors of calamity in China and Burma -- for the victims of violence in Zimbabwe and S. Africa -- for Calum and Matthew and Peter – praying for feasts in circumstances where even the term “snack” is too generous a description for the little that I have to offer.
5 comments:
I check almost every day and so I was thrilled to see a new post and to hear how you are doing. The children's reflections on snack vs. feast is profound especially for their age. Love you and am glad to hear that you've made a little air pocket in your huge silo! - Heather
Laurie, Kristianna and I were just talking about you yesterday and wondering how you are. We miss you! And we seriously are going to show up on your doorstep some pretty spring/summer day..... =D
Oh Laurie"
I have been checking on your blog 2 or 3 times a week and am thrilled to finally read about your adventures. I think it would be a wonderful adventure to end Sunday School with a "feast" or "snack" or whatever you want to call it. Our weather is also cool but promises to warm up tomorrow. Take care and God Bless. Love, Audie
hey laurie - great to see you blogging again and catch up on your wee life. hope you keep up the contact with us.
Hey Laurie,
Thanks for friending me on facebook! :) It's so good to hear your "voice" in the blog. Such great reflections, as always!
By the way, it's still 60 degrees here in Seattle, so do not be jealous. We're not doing much better than you!
Post a Comment