Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Decisive Day

I've been fascinated from a distance with the contest between Obama and Clinton -- and I know that today, March 4th, is a decisive one in that battle.

But my heart and attention are drawn to a different battle today.

A fortnight ago, my sister-in-law, Karin, was diagnosed with breast cancer, and today is a decisive day for her in that contest. She goes in for surgery to remove the tumor. In a few days we'll know what further treatment will involve. So we are praying and waiting and hopeful.

Karin and Scott on their way to the Grammy's this year

The rest of life here has taken a backseat in my attention and affection to Karin's news, since my heart is in Southern California with her, Scott, Abe, Jake and Anna. But here are a few highlights and photos...

Durham & York

I was in Durham this month from the 18 - 26 of Feb. The week at Durham was productive, giving the chance to attend two of the New Testament seminars on the Mondays, and work on a chapter I'm hoping to submit by next week.



The real highlights, though, were visiting friends Sarah and Andy Herbert in York over the weekend -- had a wonderful time with their family -- Matthew, Bethany and Katie make a guest feel like royalty!









Also had the chance on the way home to stop over in Edinburgh and see friends Calum and Meg Mechie, Kate Mechie and Peter Chalmers, who was up from London to show some of his Florence work to members at the RSA. Highlight was seeing Gauguin's "Vision after the Sermon", which is in the Scottish National Gallery.

East Church

This past weekend we has a Saturday meeting to take a closer look at the family and children's ministry at the East Church -- great gathering -- and on Sunday we filled the front area of the sanctuary with kids for our children's story. There is an encouraging sense of God's Spirit working among us to enjoy a new day in this area, and I am immensely encouraged and honored to participate in this.

Zieglers

Friends Sharon and Geordie had dinner waiting for me on Tuesday night on my way home from the train --a feast! We were all at the fundraising Quiz night this past Friday as well -- little thanks to me, the team that I was on prevailed by a meager 2 points on the evening.

The whole Ziegler family and I walked up Cloch na ben together the Saturday before I left for Durham -- I've never been up there on such a clear day.

Apparently, we've had more sunshine in February than any other year since records have been kept!


Just now, the weather is doing its typical "sunshine for 45 mintues -- snow for 45 minutes -- sunshine for 30 minutes -- hail for 10" routine.


I'll have to time it right to get to the top of Scolty during a sunny break ...

2 comments:

Barb said...

Glad to see the update. I will definitely be praying for your sister-in-law and her family. I know it has to be hard for you to be so far away from home at a time like this, so I'll keep you in my prayers too.

It seems you are having Texas weather in Scotland this year. On Saturday I was sitting on my porch in shorts and a t-shirt, sweating in the sun. Last night it snowed! Crazy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this update. I check often and am thrilled. I love you and am praying all day. What a beautiful couple. Love, Mom

Post a Comment