Saturday, January 13, 2007

Lost in Translation #1

Knickers: The Scottish term for underpants
Bloomers: What Laurie hears / pictures everytime someone says knickers

You'll need to understand the difference to appreciate this ...

The Sunday after Christmas (that would be the 31st) I have just finished preaching in worship at the East Church (my Christmas present to friend Mary who is the pastor there -- free pulpit supply...) and I'm having lunch at the Brodies' with Steve and Jean Hughes (formerly of Banchory, now just outside London) and Katrina Ribbons (friend from Edinburgh). Standing there in my calf length wool tartan skirt, inspecting it for mud and rips, I'm explaining how, as I walked home from the East church along the river, I came to a place where I could either carry on next to the river on a small trail or cut up the steps and take the official walking / biking track. I opted for the small trail -- and then had to scramble up the embankment when it ran into the river! "I reminded myself of my nieces Beckah and Hannah who are always out playing and climbing in their skirts," I conclude.

"Laurie, you could have done what we used to do when we were wee girls," says Katrina, "and just tuck your skirt into your knickers."

"That would be fine," I reply, walking past Katrina to take my seat at the table, "except that I'm not wearing knickers."

"Great beer this, Robin." -- Steve's loud comment offered to break the silence all 'round.

Explaining my confusion between knickers and bloomers did not, regretably, erase the image of me preaching without any knickers on which had just lodged itself in everyone's mind... ... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment