Friday, October 27, 2006

Curry Night at Archibalds...


Thursdays in October...

Since every Thursday is pretty much the same, I'll just give you the basic outline and then one highlight from the last 3 weeks...

Basic Thursday Outline:

Morning Study

Walk up Scolty

Either Meet with Supervisor OR meet other postgrads in NT for a cup of tea

New Testament Seminar (4.15 - 5.45)

Meet up with Kristianna (Ph.D student in Church History)

Go to mall to return some things (that didn't work in cottage) and pick up others (tonight was just returns...)

Find a cheap, decent meal together

Drive home

October 26th Variation...

Furniture for the cottage (thank you Marshalls!) So here are some pics of the sitting room / study room / dining room (That's all 3 rooms in one -- not 3 different rooms!)

Above is if you walk into the sitting room from the hall -- and you are 9 feet tall...

Now this is the view if you keep walking ahead and then pivot to your left! That little shuttered window is a pass-through to the kitchen -- and your back is to the windows into the garden. (It's midnight, though, so you can't see the garden and there's no sense turning around to look...)

And once again, you'd have to be ridiulously tall because I'm standing on my dining room table to take the photo...






So this is another view from the bay windows (note the edge of the dining room table in the lower right hand corner -- and that's my really stylin' $5 rocking chair from the church jumble sale...)

And finally, just to prove that yes, I am over here studying for a Ph.D. ...

The study corner!

I cleaned it up for the photo -- see all those library books under the desk?

Now that door goes out to the hallway -- and the windows to its left enclose the entrance. For any of you who saw my last cottage, its footprint ended at the left hand side of that door (as you are facing it in this photo -- this cottage has added on the entrance and the entire left side of the room -- another 4 feet! And the celing is tall enough for me to stand on a table -- so it feels huge in here!

Okay -- tour done for now.

Thursday Oct. 19 Variation -- Curry Night at Archibalds.

For the past 3 Thursdays, my friend Kristianna and I have connected up after my NT seminar (4.15 - 5.45pm) and first -- gone to the mall so I can return things I bought for the cotttage that didn't work and collect things that do. Next we try to find a place to eat. Last week we stumbled upon Archibalds -- a bar with "4.99 curry" (that's 5 quid...) -- so for about $9 you get an indian meal with Naan bread and pompadums (how do you spell that?) and a mango chutney in a pull top plastic containter and rice and a curry dish and either a lager or ale or wine. Tonight I had lamb biryani and for the second week running managed to spill chutney on my skirt.

Thursday Oct. 12 Variation

Oh -- I didn't meet up with Kristianna on this Thursday -- couldn't reach her so went to the library until very late... So this is the Thursday that doesn't fit the above pattern!

Thursday Oct. 5

Did meet up with Kristianna -- went to John Lewis (department store) to order a downie (comforter) and get sheets, etc. for the bed that the last renter left behind for me -- a "Scottish double" which is a double bed width only shorter, so looks really square and tiny!

Leaving John Lewis, we drove 45 minutes in circles looking for a restaurant I thought I remembered, then ended up parking back where we started -- never did find the restaurant but happened upon a pub with reasonably good food cheap.

More on what Seminars are like on another blog -- tonight need to hit the hay! Love to all -- COME SEE MY COTTAGE --

COME SLEEP IN MY SCOTTISH DOUBLE BED (I'll take the couch...)

COME HAVE CHEAP CURRY AT ARCHIBALDS

And if all that doesn't tempt you, I don't know what will.

Love, L

No comments:

Post a Comment