Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer is testing the waters ...

So last Sunday, I was leading service -- our theme was "Postcard from Jericho" and one of the stories was Zacchaeus -- sadly, I'd saved my powerpoint slides in the wrong format and none worked in worship!

Ah well -- it was still a great morning, and here is one of the paintings I had that I really liked:























Of course, the other stories were of Rahab and the spies along with the conquest of Jericho -- I was so struck in the preparation for Sunday by the way that all of the stories surrounding Jericho are salvation stories -- the outnumbered, the harlot, the crook and the beggar -- all saved.

Hospitality is another theme I suppose -- Rahab welcoming the spies -- Zachaeus welcoming Jesus into his home -- Even in the story of the Good Samaritan -- set between Jericho and Jerusalem -- it is salvation at the hand of the unlikely stranger -- today, salvation has come into this home.

So I've been remembering that I am numbered among the saved -- that victory and rescue, forgiveness and healing -- these are all at hand in abundance in Jesus -- sometimes it is just a matter of choosing to praise, to receive, to climb down out of my high places, to cry out for healing --


yet also to participate in salvation -- to march against strongholds, to protect the stranger, to identify myself with God's people in hope, to give generously, to follow along behind Jesus.

So there is your mini sermon -- it isn't actually the one that I gave -- its mostly the other thoughts I need to save for the next time ...

It has been dry the last few days, with some lovely sunny mornings and even some warmth!
I love the radio weather forecasts. On Monday the announcer said: "passing rain showers today, but when the sun is out there will be some warmth in it."

Not much else to write about -- quiet week of writing, walking and working on languages. Here, though, is a quick photo of our friend back in the woodbin -- seen in the light of day, I don't actually think it's Al, unless he's lost weight -- so this one I'm calling "Hop-a-long".

Oh -- watched the film "Lives of Others" last Friday eve at the Marshalls' -- excellent.

And re-read "Peace Like a River" -- one of my favorite novels -- I always cry when I finish a good story -- even if they aren't particularly touching -- I just hate for good stories to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment